Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Softball: Fan or Player?


Usually fans: Me, Meridith, Jenna, and Lydia

For the softball season so far, I've just been a fan at our church's softball games. And, I love watching and cheering. With having played many years of softball growing up, I'm quite familiar with little rules and strategizing.

Well, last night a few of us fans (all girls) were called on to play because the opposing team had to forfeit. So, we divided up our team's players, and with 3 additional girls, we were able to make up 2 teams. We played a game just for fun.

Let me set the stage though: Even though it was in the high 90s yesterday, prior to the game Jenna and I walked laps on a path that goes around a few ball fields while the guys had practice. That was about 2 miles, and my asthma has been bad in this weather. So, we're hot and decide to go get drinks (and, at Brian's request we run home to get rakes in order for them to loosen up the dirt). Upon arriving back to the field (with rakes, drinks, and fliers to distribute for the end-of-the-year softball picnic that we're hosting), some people ask if anyone wants to play. Well, Jenna and I are in our sneakers (and Jenna has been dying to play all season), so we end up being recruited, as well as Meridith who has her soccer cleats in her car. And, I have my glove and softball bat in my car -- with tons of other sports gear in my trunk -- and for as little as I play, it's strangely aways in my trunk.

Needless to say, it was not a stellar game for me -- already tired from the heat, headache, sweating bullets, having not played really in about 10 years, and not having practiced at all. But, all of us girls managed to make contact with the ball when we were up to bat, and we fielded well enough to make a few outs. Playing with a bunch of men is a lot different from playing with girls growing up! (Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of us girls in action last night).

I think the numerous fans got a kick out of the game. And, all in all, it was a fun time. I have a nice war-wound on my shin from the ball pelting me, but it was worth it.

Brian up to bat - with his batting face :)

Our parents: regular fans also (Kim, my Dad, Bri's Dad)

No comments: