Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Teeth are overrated


Well, I guess that’s an exaggeration, . . . I really do care a lot about teeth . . . but, honestly are these braces worth all the pain and tears? Tears? Yes, today it was tears. So, some of you know I got oral surgery last Saturday. The above picture Brian took before we left for surgery. Thankfully, it ended up being less intensive than anticipated.
(For those who like a visual - this is the outside one)
I got temporary anchor devices (TADs), which look like little metal nobs in my gum – both on my top right gum, one on the outside gum, and one on the inside gum (like where my tongue is). Novicane is a wonderful thing, and it did the trick. I did feel a good deal of pressure though (because the TADs screw into the bone, like a normal screw), which led to headaches for a day or two.

Ok, so today was the trip to the orthodontist where they planned to chain from the brackets (on my teeth) up to these little TADs. Splendid, simply splendid (can you sense the sarcasm?). So, I get my old wire off for starters. And, you must realize that the wires I have are super heavy-duty and have all sorts of bends in them (to speed up the process). So, getting the wire out takes at least 10-15 minutes. Then, on with the new wire, which ends up requiring the doctor to come over and do some major tugging and pulling (because these wires don’t like to go into my molar brackets). So, whenever the hygienist (I guess you’d call her, who is wonderfully nice) does anything near my top right gum where my surgery was, I flinch because that area is really sensitive. She had to do lots of wire snipping in that area (which jerks the wire). After about the 9th snip (of heavy-duty wire, mind you) tears start streaming down the corners of my eyes. I hit the brink. I held my composure pretty well, until she asked, “Are you doing okay?” By, now a few more tears come, out of embarrassment. And, then I realize I need to ask to have a break and go to the bathroom. (Thankfully, she was almost done). After giving myself a pep-talk in the bathroom and pulling myself together – not so well – I headed back out. We then went to a separate room where I had the joy of learning where and how to put on my rubber bands. The hygienist was really so nice, and she got me some Motrin after giving me a little pep-talk. I suppose is really could have been worse.

I knew today was going to be a tough visit . . . but, not that tough. I’m living on pain-reliever and I think I can feel almost every nerve in my teeth. These teeth better be worth it . . . :)
Did I mention I have a wonderful husband who knows how to cheer me up?

5 comments:

april said...

girl i'm feeling you pain for/with you! so sorry you have to go through this. what a trial.

Alina said...

Oh, Mar...sounds so painful! my teeth hurt just reading your post! hope you feel some relief soon.

Brooke said...

Wow! It sounds pretty bad, but not as bad as the stories of your sinus surgery. That one really took the cake. I am praying for you though!

Mid-Life Mother said...

Ouch! So glad you have an awesome hubby to help you through. And I imagine a good bowl of icecream or jello too?

Anonymous said...

You poor girl! Ouchie and double yikes. We are praying for your jaw situation. I hope it isn't too painful. :) {{{Happy vibes!}}}