Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cory's baby shower

One of my co-workers is expecting her first child, and I thought it would be fun to throw her a shower. It was fun planning the surprise with the other office ladies. We were even able to get her husband to come. She was so shocked! I made my first diaper cake for the shower (thanks to Denise for her instructions). Well, really Brian and I made it. We needed two hands.

One of my co-workers thinks I need to start a business making these cakes. I took it as a compliment, but thought it would be hilarious. Then, as more people at work asked if I could make one for a shower they are going to, the wheels started spinning in my head . . . and I was thinking, hmm, maybe I should begin advertising. My dad has always told me I should start my own business selling hand-made stationary/cards/invitations, framed art, . . . and now diaper cakes. We'll see. For you regular blog-readers who see some of the pictures I post of my makings, what do you think? Should/could I start a business selling these things? These cakes would only really be sold to locals because they would be a logistical nightmare to transport far. Either way, I have 1 diaper cake order already for this summer :).

I also made some chocolate-covered strawberries
The spread
The parents-to-be
Opening gifts

4 comments:

Brooke said...

You and Brian are so both talented and the special occasions thing. You could both package your cooking skills and creativity and make some big bucks someday. I believe in it!

lydia said...

go for it mary! i've made one of those diaper cakes before and it was NOT as cute as yours. those strawberries look AMAZING!!!! i'd hire you!

Anonymous said...

I think you have talent too! You could always advertise some of your stuff on www.etsy.com and get your stuff out there! :-) i like the cake, very cute!
Bethany

T and B Rowe said...

i've made a couple diaper cakes too. you do a great job! here's a picture of mine: http://tbrowe.blogspot.com/2008/03/baby-diaper-cake.html