Monday, November 3, 2008

Introducing . . . Hand Designs

Some of you faithful bloggers might remember one of my posts last May about starting a business . . .

Well peeps, it happened. Don't worry, I haven't been holding out on you too long, . . . but that has been the reason for my very few posts . . . busy with starting up the biz.

Let me introduce you to Hand Designs. Here's a little history (for those of you saying, "Are you crazy?!!! You're starting a business?!!!") . . . Last May, I threw a baby shower for a coworker, and made up some fun invitations, and thought I'd try my hand at a diaper cake. (Here is a diaper cake if you've never seen one). My coworkers ended up loving the diaper cake to my surprise . . . so much so that my coworker wanted to order one from me later in the summer. And, she asked for some business cards to give out at the baby shower she was attending.

So, the summer is going by (and , I'm not really thinking about starting a business). I find some business cards online, and I find a website promotion. So, I fiddled around with the website and took pictures of my various products. I wanted to make sure the website was up and running for ladies that received my business card.

When I brought the diaper cake into work to deliver to my coworker, others found out. And, people commented again that I should start a business. This time I could say, "Actually, I have a website now. You should check it out." So, in a day, I had two stationary orders. I couldn't believe it. And, one of my coworkers (thanks Gina!) offered to host an evening "debut" for Hand Designs. And, the debut was a week and a half ago. It went surprisingly well, and I sold much more than I anticipated.

So, we'll see where it goes. I enjoy creating these products, and it's helping to provide the extra income we were hoping to make.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Alina said...

Mary!!! The site looks sooo beautiful and professional! I am so excited for you...you are doing something that comes so naturally to you and now you get to make money doing it! It is very inspiring!

Alina said...

Mary,
Do you have the info for the website company and business cards you used?
Thanks!

Me said...

MARY!!! Your designs are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I'm so excited for you. You have a great eye and I'm sure you'll be selling even more in no time! Out of curiosity, do you remember the site where you found the web promotion? I've been trying to find something affordable for a while!

Brooke said...

I love it! I am so proud of you for going for it. I feel special to have recieved so many of your fancy shmancy cards!

april said...

mar, that is so great!! proud of ya girlie. what a wonderful idea, and so fitting for your talents :)