Saturday, July 17, 2010

My new job

Right out of college, I had the opportunity to work for David (to my right) & Cindy (to my left) for 4 years. And, I'm actually working for them again now. They sold their court reporting company in Philly and moved to South Carolina where they started EveryWord Inc., another court reporting company. At Christmas, while Cindy was in town she came to visit us (and more importantly see little David). She was sharing with us how they would need help with their new company, and that I might be able to work for them, working from home. All the details slowly fleshed out over the next few months, and in mid-June I had training down at their home in SC. It was so great to see them, and we definitely got a lot accomplished. (I missed Brian and David and was so excited to come home to them, but my trip was really nice and productive).

Since getting home, I've been working full-time from home, and I LOVE it! I was worried about being motivated and balancing home life and work, but it's been a pretty good transition. I am so motivated to work hard, and I love working each day. I must say it is wonderful to have Brian home all summer watching David. I love eating lunch together.

So, you're probably wondering what I actually do. I promote a special niche of court reporting called CART, Communication Access Realtime Translation. CART is most commonly a service for deaf and hard of hearing, but also helpful for individuals learning English as a second language or individuals who are physically unable to take notes. It is most often offered in academic settings, but also corporate settings. A court reporter provides CART services for the individual by transcribing the spoken words (via a steno machine) into text, word-for-word in real time. The recipient views the text on their laptop or projection screen. Not only does this aid incredibly with class participation, CART also produces a transcript (basically word-for-word notes) that the individual/student can highlight, do searches in, and write comments . . . and then take with them in order to reference or study from later. CART services have really been a tremendous asset to deaf and hard-of-hearing, and it can now be done remotely. EveryWord offers on-site and remote CART, and my job is to promote it -- connecting the CART providers with the individuals who need it. Check out our website for more details: www.EveryWordInc.com

Here are some pictures from my trip down to SC, mostly of David & Cindy's home. It was a very nice place to visit.




No comments: