Monday, April 30, 2007

Tidbits of Spring


Oh, I love this time of year -- Spring is such a time of refreshment in so many ways! God knew we needed seasons! Tonight, we had a chance to be out and enjoy the weather at our church's softball game. Brian is on the team. It was so fun -- the first game, and we won! The score was unreal: 30-20!!!! Brian hit one single, two doubles, and one triple! Here are some pics:

I guess we live in the country a bit, huh? Brian in left field

Brian coaching first base

Some of us fans

Brian getting ready to put away the "Wrath" bat

Us, after the game

Well, talking about refreshment, I think both Brian and I needed refreshment after this past week and weekend. Last Saturday, my grandmother had a stroke, and was quickly declining. We had a few visits to the hospital, and family came in town. It was hard to personally dwell on how much my "Grammy" has meant -- practically raising me at various points in my life. And, it was hard to watch my "Pop-Pop" go through the process of preparing to lose his wife of almost 60 years. It was an intense week. Thankfully, my Grammy is hanging in there, and has been making some improvements.

Later in the week, our dishwasher overflowed onto the kitchen floor -- in full-force -- for the 3rd time! It was like a little Niagra Falls coming onto the floor. I think we've gone through about 15 paper towel rolls on that floor recently. Today, it apparently got fixed -- for the third time. We'll see. Thankfully, we've been home to clean up the water each time it's overflowed.

Then, on Friday morning (after a night of lots of rain), we woke up to an inch of rain water in our basement. I felt so bad having to wake Brian up with bad news. I had gone down to get Bisquick in the basement for waffles because we were having my brother and his family over for waffles and strawberries. Thankfully, I decided to work from home. We had 4 trucks in our driveway at one point -- all doing something different to dry-vac, tear up carpet, do mold-treatments, install a new sump-pump, . . . We did have some damage -- one side of the basement is finished with a sofa, coffee table, bar, t.v., stereo; the other side is unfinished, but it had everything I had just moved over from my dad and step-mom's house. So, we had to empty all the boxes because the bottoms would simply give-way.

So, needless to say, Brian and I were eager to relax -- as much as we could -- this weekend and tonight. I worked on the outside of our house on Saturday -- powerwashing, weeding, hedging bushes, planting seeds -- with the help of my sister and dad, while Brian worked and had softball practice. Then, we enjoyed some volleyball yesterday afternoon, after church. And tonight, we enjoyed some fellowship outside at the softball game. Praise God -- His beauty and refreshment can really encourage our hearts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mary,

Ruth Godfrey Galpin here! Congratulations on your wedding and all that life seems to be bringing you. It is fun to catch up on your life through your blog.
As a fun suggestion, you should put up some of your wedding pictures on your blog -- I would love to see some.

Again, congratulations.
Ruth Godfrey Galpin

Brian & Mary Hand said...

Ruth,

I added a link on the side bar (to my old blog) which has some wedding pics. Let me know if you are interested in seeing more. I could send you the link to see ALL the pictures :).

Great to hear from you!!