Monday, May 14, 2007

My Moms

My mom, my bro, and me (4 yrs old).

When I think of moms, I think of endurance -- running the long-distance mile, adjusting to each phase of the run. I think of my mom who went back to school to get her doctorate when I was 6 years old. At that point, she already had her bachelors degree and two masters degrees. But, she realized she wanted to be a child and adolescent psychiatrist. She was a single mom -- spliting custody of my brother and me with my dad -- and had 2-3 jobs the entire time while going through medical school. I have NO clue how she did it. We both graduated within the same week of each other -- her from medical school, me from high school. And, then she went on for more specialized psychiatric training. I've been to so many award dinners and banquets for her, and people are always reminding me how proud I should be of my mom. And, I am! She's had her own practice for a few years now, and she's the Director of Mental Health for the State of Pennsylvania.

Mom and me, last Fall

And, all the while, she would drop everything for my brother and me growing up. And, we were too immature to ever realize or appreciate it. I remember how she would set out our cereal, bowls and spoons for the morning, so she could sleep in. And, I would go into her room and pull open her eye lid and say, "Are you ready for breakfast mom?" She would say, "Honey, I put out the cereal and bowls for you, all you need to do is get out the milk." And, I would say, "BUT, I can't eat alone. Come eat with me." She would drag herself out of bed and sit at the kitchen bar with me, barely keeping her head up. I always kept her running, never letting her have a rest. (I was inevitably ready to go shopping or something after breakfast, or I had some sport to go to).

Kim and me, 2001

But, she has been so patient to love me -- day-to-day, year-to-year. And, I think of my step-mom, Kim also. She married my Dad when I was 7 years old. I was so resistant to her presence in my life for years, but God has blessed us with a rich friendship as I've matured, especially since college. I can't imagine my life without her (and my dad), and their godly counsel and wisdom. I remember how Kim would have me memorize Scripture. Since I went to a public school, and I often wanted to go to dances or other "tempting" situations, and in order to go, she would have me memorize portions of Scripture before any school event -- large portions -- like the whole Ten Commandments or Romans 12. I really appreciate that so much now. I was able to preach Scripture to myself so often. And, Kim (and my dad) have taught me a lot about being hospitable -- having people to our home all the time. We made a practice of having a family over to our house every Sunday for lunch -- whether it was a new family or just a family we hadn't seen in a while. It made Sundays such a fun family day, and I was convicted that it wasn't a time for me to be doing homework. It was a time for fellowship. (Kim even had guests over on the Sunday she delivered my little sister).

Needless to say, God uses people in our lives to shape us, especially our parents, and very much our moms . . . and I am so blessed.

No comments: