Friday, June 22, 2007

Dads

Well, better late than never . . . to give a shout-out to our Dads. Here are all of us on Father's Day at my parent's house. (It's so convenient that Brian and my family lives under 5 miles from each other -- perfect to combine occasions such as this :).

Not the best angle, but you get the picture :)

We had a BBQ after church and just sat around and chatted and laughed until the evening. It was so nice to relax together.

Me, Dad, and Joy

Dad (Hand), Brian, and Mike

I must say that fathers have such a critical role in our lives -- I know my dad's love and opinion and support is so vital. And, it's funny how we often take those things for granted until we perceive it lacking. I have been able to turn to my dad for wisdom and provision over the years. It's amazing how God made the image of our earthly dads so much like our need for Him, our Heavenly Father. It's funny to think how exciting and comforting it was to run into your daddy's arms as a child, and to sit in your dad's lap, and to run to your dad when you were scared at night, and to brag about how your dad would beat up your friend's dad if things got messy on the playground.

Father's Day is not only a day to let my dad know how much I love him, but also a reminder of how we ought to praise and love our Heavenly Father -- and to see Him as our Daddy who welcomes us with open arms.