Monday, August 6, 2007

Us Time

Memory Lane: The first picture of Brian and me together - July 2004

It seems like life blazes by sometimes and schedules can be so busy. And, I am so thankful for the times that Brian and I decide to spontaneously throw our schedules out the window and do something fun together.

Last Thursday night, on my way home from working out, I called Brian knowing that he was probably starting dinner for us at home. But, just before I called I was thinking how we both wouldn't get to see each other much over the weekend because of Brian's brother's bachelor "party" or weekend really. (The guys did stuff together Friday night and all day Saturday . . . a movie, poker, and paint ball . . . I'm glad they had good bonding time together . . . they loved it).

I can't help but share a picture of Mike with his groomsmen from Saturday:

But, knowing that the weekend would blaze by, I thought why not have a "date night" tonight? Forget my schedule. I could get my stuff done on Friday night. So, we enjoyed a wonderful chicken parmesan dinner and some homemade cookies and milk. Somehow, cookies and milk are so wonderful on a hot summer night.

Afterward, we headed to the movies and saw I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. It provided some good laughs (and little skweemishness at times), but we enjoyed it. Since we don't have central air conditioning in our house, any place with air conditioning can be a blessing in this humidity.

Another time that Brian and I get to enjoy together is breakfast and devotions every day. I get up before Brian right now with our schedules (but that will change in a few weeks when school starts for him again). I get the coffee going and get breakfast on the table, while catching a bit of the news. Then, Brian and I enjoy breakfast together and have devotions. Right now we are reading through Luke. I treasure this time together so much -- starting off the day in the Word, praying for our work ahead, sharing things on our hearts, challenging each other, . . . I am so thankful that we are committed to this early morning time. It's neat to see how the Scripture passages comes to mind in different ways throughout the day.

Here's a view of the usual 6:45am breakfast time:
(sometimes I'm more creative, but we sure love Kashi Go Lean :)

I am so blessed by Brian . . . and couldn't be more thankful for a godly husband. God is good!

For other couples out there: how do you balance time in the Word and praying together . . . and time in the Word and praying in a personal way? Being married, I often find this balance has new dynamics . . . which can be a blessing and a challenge. When do you usually spend time together or individually reading/praying in your day?

No comments: