Monday, April 28, 2008

Fun with kids

This past Friday night, we had my boss (from my prior job) and his family over for dinner. I had become really close with my boss and his wife during the 4 years that I worked for them after college. They currently live around the corner from us, but they are planning to move to SC in the next few months. It’s exciting to hear how God is leading them. (AC, they will be in Columbia which I hear isn’t far from Greenville . . . we’re toying with coming down next summer to visit you both :). Well, we knew that they would be bringing their 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter for dinner, which we looked forward to. So, my husband in true PE-teacher-fashion, prepared the house with various stations where they could play. It was great. There was a mini-bowling set up in one corner of the living room, in another area was coloring sheets and crayons (the coloring sheets Brian printed from online), in another area there was cup-stacking, and then on the deck there were bubbles to blow (and I’m probably forgetting another station). Here are some pictures:

The real competition seemed to end up being who could be the most soapy
Gotta love those puffy cheeks My "old" boss and his wife

Brian was sure to entertain those kids, and it enabled me to really catch up with the husband and wife. Oh, and another highlight of the evening: I had strawberry pie for the first time – it was excellent! I love when other people bring dishes that I never make!

Then, on Sunday, our church had a potluck dinner followed by a presentation by the church kids. There was catechism reciting, Scripture reciting, Scripture read in various languages, and lots of musical performances. This may sound so weird, but I absolutely love these nights. Even weirder, I was smiling so much the entire night that my jaw hurt (and it hadn’t hurt like that since our wedding over a year ago). I think I’m nuts. I can’t help but praise God when I watch those little kids use their talents and abilities. They worked so hard. Here are some pictures.

Some of the kids
Some brothers reciting catechism Megan singing, Beautiful Savior
Oh, and at the end of the evening there were awards for people who work with the children on Sunday evenings. Some of you may know, but my husband leads the gym time for the children (K-5th grade). And, most often you’d think of church gym activities for kids as rather unstructured and thrown together. Not my husband! Brian is always brainstorming new games, and teaching them sportsmanship and new skills, and stretching their teamwork. Kids flock to the gym. And, apparently the first question that the kids ask each Sunday night is, “Is Coach Brian coming tonight?!!!” (Brian even drinks his coffee every morning from a “Coach Brian” mug that some kids made for him for Christmas). Funny thing, Brian loves being with the kids as much as they enjoy him. And, he rarely misses a Sunday night – not even a handful of times per year. So, last night my husband got a standing ovation from the church and a card signed by the families with a gift card. And, as he came to sit back down, all the kids had their hands out to get a high-five from him. I sat there praising God.

One last thing: a shout-out for Brian . . . Way to finish out your 20-credit semester! His last final is on Friday! Woot, woot! We will be celebrating!

2 comments:

Mid-Life Mother said...

It was an awesome night! Our kids do love Coach Brian!

april said...

you guys are amazingly, graciously, busy! congrats on some closure for the semester.