Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tidbits

Here are some random events and thoughts from this last week . . .

* Ever been to the Melting Pot, and thoroughly enjoyed yourself . . . but, felt gorged for days? Well, that was me. It was hilarious to watch my grandpop . . . as he questioned why we pay to cook our own food. He ended up liking it . . . I knew he would

* I must say that I absolutely love my church senior high girls more and more. I love hanging with them and learning and teaching. We're good 'ol friends! We had a blast on Saturday morning at our house: brunch, Bible study on the topic of comfort (2 Cor. 1:3-11), then we worked on a project for our Mother-Daughter Banquet coming up in May. They make my heart full of joy.

* Birthday money . . . it's a great thing. Need I say more. Well, okay . . . I did a little spring shopping on Saturday. It was a real treat!

* Spring weather -- the sunshine, the smells, the crispness of the morning, the windows open, the smell of fresh cut grass, seeing tulips whenever I exit the house, . . . all too beautiful for words and refreshing to my soul.

* Stink bugs . . . you know if you got them. Uhh! They stalk me! This is a really gross story, so skip down if you need to: I was getting ready for bed recently (mind you, Brian was asleep). I see one of the these wretched bugs crawling across the mirror. Tissue in hand, I prepare for the kill. This time I was a little to confident of my squishing abilities. I turn the tissue toward me as I squeeze and whaaaaamo . . . stink bug guts fly ALL over me: my face, glasses, hair, lips . . . and I didn't even scream because my husband needed his zzzz's. Wow! That repulsed me! For days, I could see the wiped off bug guts on a tissue in the trash can. I had to do a little trash-rearranging.

* American Idol . . . we're sucked in. I never have been before. David Cook, you got it.

* The older ya get, the more aches and pains. Even though I work out faithfully (or so I like to think), I have begun to get sore whenever I do activities that are out of my normal routine. It never used to be that way! And, that proved true again this weekend at the batting cage. My fore arms are sore, but it was worth it. It was memory lane.

* I really like this Mexican Rice Skillet . . . been in the fam for years (from the Roane family):

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 cup chicken broth
2 medium red peppers, diced
1 cup of frozen/canned corn
1 cup rice (uncooked)
8 oz. sour cream
1 cup of sharp cheese, shredded

Directions:
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, water, and salt.
2. Cook until water is absorbed.
3. Add broth, peppers, corn, and rice. (Don't boil). Cover and simmer for 20 minutes without stirring until liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat. Spread sour cream over top, and spread cheese on top.
5. Cover and let stand 5-10 minutes until cheese melts.
6. Serve in the frying pan. Yum!!!

1 comment:

Mid-Life Mother said...

Ugggh! We've got an invasion of stink bugs in our house. Just avoid vaccuming them up - that really stinks!