Thursday, January 15, 2009

Home for the Holidays

Better late than never, right? Well, either way, that's the case here :).

Folks, I had 12 days off -- a record -- and I totally enjoyed it! I was smart this year, and I saved vacation time for Christmas. Since Brian is in school, it's nice to enjoy his break with him.

We had a wonderful time hosting family over the holidays. On Christmas Eve, we had the Hand clan, 12 in all. Brian made a great ham with bourbon cola, pineapple rings, and cherries. This was my first Christmas ham . . . I never had ham at Christmas. It was yum!

Christmas Eve evening is always our candlelight service at church -- something not to miss. It was wonderful to hear the story of our Savior's birth again; every year I am more grateful for the life and hope we have through Him. It was also wonderful to see so many church families extended families. And, a blessing to sing (and hear) Silent Night sung acapella with only candles lit. It was special to sit behind friends of our who have a cute newborn girl and almost-2 year old boy, with his hair slicked down, sweater-vest, and wide-eyed at the candle's glow. Many things are precious about our church body -- it's like home.


Jenna (sister-in-law), Mike (Bri's bro), and Dad Hand

On Christmas morning, we open presents on our own -- just us. Guess who got books, and books, and books, . . . to his heart's content? Yup, Brian. And, guess who was completely floored by a new camera and blue tooth? Me!!! So, I took, oh . . . just 200 picture over the holidays. Oops! A little too excited.

Then, we enjoyed brunch and more present opening on Christmas day at my dad and step-mom's. There were out-of-town little neice and nephews there, so there was present-opening-excitement! I just loved sitting back with Brian and enjoying that family time.

All the stockings at my parents . . . we're quite the crew.


Little Jacob, fresh from the tub -- a little chubSisters
John, Robin, Kim, and Joy Ansley and Pop-O (my dad)
Hard to know who likes the toys more . . . Someone is a proud bike owner now . . .
Caleb is teaching Brian about tools . . . or maybe visa versa

Christmas evening, we hosted my mom's family and my bro and his fam -- 11 in all. We aren't often together, so it was really special. My Grammy (yes, I still call her Grammy) had a stroke 2 1/2 years ago, so anytime with her is really precious. Life isn't the same for her -- or the rest of the family for that matter -- anymore.

My Grandpop, Aunt Pat, and Mom - sorry, a little blurry

This Christmas, we were blessed -- in more ways than one.

No comments: