Thursday, January 15, 2009

Taking Up Swimming

I think that ever since Amy Claire started swimming, I've more than secretly wanted to start regularly swimming. And, after years of running (which I still enjoy), my knees are starting to talk to me . . . so, it's time for a no-impact cardio sport to join in the weekly routine: swimming! If you know me, you know I love fitness.

Anyway, it's convenient that my LA Fitness has a nice pool. I got me some TYR goggles, a TYR cap, and a swimmer's suit. And, I consulted one of our senior high girls from church extensively (who is a competitive swimmer). I've been her little aprentice. It's been fun. So here are some of my very beginner swimming tips:

1. A cap doesn't keep your hair from getting wet. It just holds it back.
2. In a lap pool, swimmers share 1 lane. You shouldn't stand and wait for a lane all to your own.
3. Swimming takes LOTS of lung-power.
4. You'll feel like Gumby when exiting the pool (after swimming your first few times).
5. Have fun and relax!

Anyway, any swimmers out there? Give me a shout. I'll take any tips. I'm mainly doing free-style, back-stroke, and various other things that I see people do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey there,
Ruth Galpin here (aka Godfrey) I swam growing up and continue doing it about twice a week at this point. swimming rocks -- good for lean muscles, relaxing mind and body, and as you noted it doesn't pound on your body like running does.
let me know if you have any questions or want to try some early workouts. there are good sites out there for beginners (mainly triathlon type stuff) that give beginner swimming workouts.
:)
Ruth