Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bradley Method

Heard of it? A method of natural childbirth. Brian and I have been attending a 10-week class on the Bradley Method. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am ridiculously sensitive to medicine, and I mean ridiculous. So, if there is a negative side-effect to medication, you can be sure that I'll get it, and get it bad. So, we'll see about childbirth . . . if I can handle the pain without the drugs.

Honestly though, I have found these birthing classes to be quite helpful (and the book, Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way . . . thanks Krissy). I'm the type of person that likes to be as educated as possible about things like this. Sure, there are some things that we don't jive with completely in this method, but I've have gleaned some great things from the class. First and foremost, all the exercises that they have us doing (with the addition of a few of my own to strengthen my back) have been tremendous for me in my pregnancy. I do stretches and exercises for 15 minutes after getting up each morning, and it really helps me feel like I can get going. We'll see how much they help for actual labor.

I usually don't talk about our birthing choice/method with many people because I feel like women are quite adamant about birthing methods -- either definitely doing what they did, or definitely not doing what they did. I find that I usually get a very long story of someone's labor whenever I mention it.

We know that God has His perfect ways for the birthing of our Little Man. And, we're excited to meet him -- however it happens.

1 comment:

The Riggalls said...

Amen sister! You do what is best for YOU! I hope it turns out okay.